Saturday, April 10, 2010

Covering the controversial

DAY 6

Bad news greeted my day. I made two articles yesterday, but none is published for today. My senior, Ma’am Joh even asked why neither one come out. Ahai, really disappointing. I don’t want to show to others, but I’m sad because of that. But I must face another day, this day.

Yesterday, I was already informed by Ma’am Joh and Sir Sam that at Baseline Restaurant, there will be forum on violence against women. It was scheduled at 10am, so I let Sheila go with me.

I asked a sketch from Ma’am Joh about the place. I and Sheila stopped at Robinsons, walked for 200 meters at the Mango Avenue before reaching the vast Baseline Recreation Center and Restaurant.

I met media men again and more of them from several outlets. Then the forum began with Mrs. Chiong, the National Vice President of CAV (Crusade Against Violence) as the guest.

The room was filled with green, from the curtains to the table cloth, etcetera. The conversation become more intense when the speaker expressed her disappointment with the justice system and thus, she wanted death penalty back and the juvenile justice law to be abolished.

A man (from the media industry) interrupted to inform that the national officers of ANAD are here to clarify a very controversial issue involving the party list.

After the forum, an unscheduled press conference followed. ANAD Representative, a feared man initiated the talk. He was mad, very mad because someone claimed that he (in the name of Boy Odilao) is the representative and created another wing of the group.

We decided to remain for it is surely a big scope, and we saw no other reporter from the publication. So we covered it. Later, senior reporters Sir Pepe and Sir Marjon came, so we went out and proceeded immediately to the office to be the first to schedule the news. “Paunhanay na nih!” (haha)

Then we sat in front of the computer, in rush to encode the two articles. I made the news about ANAD filling criminal and civil cases, while Sheila with the violence charnez.

Sir Renee read our article and found it big and interesting. He told us to get the side of Odilao also to make it fair. He gave us the number and so we called the accused.

Odilao gave his side but he threatened us that if we cannot state the right words he mentioned, he will remember our names. Uyy, scary. Odilao is not an ordinary man here, he has many connections.

We asked Sir Renee to read our article first before we submit to the editors so it won’t be libelous because what we write is consider big already. Sir Marjon also read it and wrote his name together with ours in the by line. Hmmn, questionable, we didn’t even include his facts. Ok, still okay, though late, he still attended the event. He supposed to write it, but he found that we covered it already, so he just told us what he gathered (but we still didn’t include it). Okay, respect. We know we are still interns.

Only me and Sheila from the interns reported. We remained before the two articles were done edited. It was already 8:00pm when we went out from the office.

We strolled around Colon area, and ate at Mang Inasal. We were very hungry. I consumed 4 cups of rice (sori na gud!) haha, kevz! Then I ordered two cones of Pinoy ice cream (in different flavors) costing P10/each.

We rode back to the boarding house and Neky’s bday was celebrated. There was eating and drinking session, but I slept ahead. I’m very tired. I don’t know what time they plan to end the party but I preferred to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment